Saturday, December 12, 2015

Next Steps - Surgery

First and foremost, I'm done with radiation!!  My care team was surprised at how well my body tolerated treatment, Praise GOD!  I attribute that to all the prayers, exercise, acupuncture, and reiki treatments that I received during the past 5 weeks.  I didn't experience much in the way of side effects, the worse being peeling skin that is healing well thus far.


So, what's next?
Well, before radiation treatment began I started on Tamoxifen.  Zeneca, the makers of Tamoxifen claim that this drug significantly reduces the chances of developing breast cancer in the other breast.  I've been doing lots of research on the drug and for me, I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the risks. 
Some of the more disturbing side effects and information I gathered about Tamoxifen while researching is as follows:
  • Listed as a Level One Carcinogen - which means that it has been proven to cause cancer in humans (ironic right?)
    • Uterine
    • Liver
    • Gastrointestinal
  • May cause heart disease, and Osteoporosis
  • Changes DNA
  • Blood Clots - age increases risk
  • Cataracts, retina and corneal changes
  • Potential for drug resistance with long term continued use, thus the drug actually helps breast cancer to form
  • Vocal Chord changes resulting in impairment of singing or speaking abilities
The only reason I needed to be on this medication is because I'm pre-menopausal.  It's the drug of choice to shut down the ovaries (which is where the largest amount of estrogen is created) Women who have estrogen positive cancers that are post menopausal have a slew of  drugs to choose from that block estrogen from other parts of our body such as the adrenal glands.

I never felt at peace while on the medication and after lots of prayer, discussion with doctors, Joe, and family I've decided to stop taking the drug.

Instead, I've opted for an oophorectomy.

Did you just make that word up?
I think it sounds like a Dr. Suess word, right?   Who comes up with these names anyway? Technically, I'll be having a robotic salpingal oophorectomy.  Which means, I'll be loosing my ovaries and fallopian tubes by aid of a doctor assisted robotic arm.  The surgery is laparoscopic, so healing time is short, about 2 weeks. This reduces my risk of recurrence by 50% and the only side effects are menopause; which I've been experiencing since chemo anyway. 

To me it seemed like the best option and I feel complete peace with this decision.


The surgery is scheduled for this coming Monday, December 14th.  Joe will be flying in Sunday night to hang with me and drive my car back to Ohio.  By Wednesday we should be home!

Thank you again for all your prayers and support!  Looking forward to worshiping God with my church family; so much to be thankful for.  I continue to be amazed at how much He cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment